RE: SyncML is kind of interesting

I totally agree that SyncML is very interesting. However, I am a bit dubious as

to its future success because of the following:

Up until now, syncing data was unavoidable. For various reasons (cost of

communications, communication infrastructure, ...) consumers have not been able

to benefit from permanent internet connections and therefore had to 'replicate'

(e.g. Lotus Notes DB) or 'Sync' (e.g. Palm) live databases with off-line ones

so that up-to-date information was available while being mobile.

Today however, especially in the mobile/wireless/PDA world, we are at the eve

of GPRS and other technologies allowing permanent connections to the Internet /

other networks and therefore have constant access to the sources of information

we were syncing with originally. The concept of on-line/off-line will no longer

be. Will synchronisation technology (and standards like SyncML) therefore still

be required?

Serge BAUDOT

London, UK

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:44:08 -0500 Didier PH Martin <martind@netfolder.com>