Re: Gag me with a blunt …

Edwin.Fine@CommerceQuest.com scripsit:

> Maybe I am way off base here, but my experience with XML on OS/390 has
> shown that there are actually two EBCDIC "newline" characters: one is 0x15
> (EBCDIC NEWLINE), and the other is 0x25 (EBCDIC LF or linefeed char). The
> IBM C++ compiler outputs 0x15 when you print "\n", but each record of
> mainframe text datasets appears to be terminated with 0x25. I have never
> seen 0x85 (incidentally, our mainframes use CP500 - international EBCDIC
> -- and CP37 -- US EBCDIC).

Absolutely right.  The ASCII/Unicode analogue of 0x15 is 0x0a (LINE FEED),
and the ASCII/Unicode analogue of 0x25 is 0x85 (NEW LINE).  So when there
is an 0x25 in EBCDIC data, it is correctly converted to 0x85.

One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter