Re: Combining float/string to specify value/units

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> If it's a string whose first part looks like a string representation of a
> float, by all means use a RE pattern.

> How much information
> one wants to pass to the application about the units and how they should  be
> represented can be hard if full generality is needed.

Thanks, Thomas.  Fortunately, I won't need full generality since this is
intended for an internal application fully under my control.

As for the RE pattern, any ideas where I can find one already defined
for a float number?  Despite my previous assertion of an application
fully under my control, I'd like to make sure my patterns match the
official XML Schema functionality as much as possible including the INF,
NaN, and the exponential notations.

Is the concept of using primitive datatypes in RE pattern matching
encoding under consideration for future versions of XML Schema?  It
seems inefficient not to be able to reuse all those wonderful built-in
validation rules even if they may only be useful when restricting a
string-based derived datatype.

--
Steve Rosenberry
Sr. Partner

Electronic Solutions Company -- For the Home of Integration
http://ElectronicSolutionsCo.com

http://BetterGoBids.com -- The Premier GoTo Bid Management Tool

(610) 670-1710