Re: Web Philosophy

At 08:45 AM 3/27/01 +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > Unfortunately, at least for those of us who aren't building closed
> systems,
> > ignoring the W3C completely is impossible and ignoring the parts we don't
> > like is extremely difficult at best.
> >
> > As a result, I remain a vocal critic of W3C process and of many of its
> > results - making noise may irritate people, but staying silent only (IMHO)
> > makes things worse.
>
>There is, of course, another alternative: For those results that you
>are interested in, participate in the process of defining the
>recommendations.

Sorry - protesting the manner in which a process is conducted by
participating in it is not an answer in my book.

Vendor consortia with closed processes are not appropriate means of
building the Web, in my opinion.  That might seem quaint, nostalgic, or
naive to some people, but I think it's a pretty reasonable, even moderate,
stance.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML