RE: CDATA sections in W3C XML Infoset

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> > I think there should be a standard way to
> > normalize a DOM tree so that CDATASection
> > nodes disappear.

> While I can see that value in this, I have a
> question...
>
> Given that the DOM allows adjacent Text nodes unless
> normalise() is called, and CDATASection nodes extend
> the interfaces of Text, how would your processing
> change if you just dealt with Text alone?

It wouldn't, necessarily, but presumably an implementation of
normalize() has a chance of being more efficient than doing the same
thing by creating new nodes and replacing old ones using DOM calls.

--
Richard Lanyon, Software Engineer     DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com