RE: CDATA sections in W3C XML Infoset

> It wouldn't, necessarily, but presumably an implementation of
> normalize() has a chance of being more efficient than doing the same
> thing by creating new nodes and replacing old ones using DOM calls.

Not necessarily. Also, normalize() really shouldn't be guaranteed to
merge Text nodes (though the DOM spec implies it always succeeds).
For example, if it runs out of memory, it mightn't be able to merge
the nodes.

Anyway, my main point is that I can't see why CDATA sections add
such a burden to your processing.