RE: "Binary XML" proposals

At 07:35 10-04-2001, Al Snell wrote:
>In *my* binary XML format project

Therein, I think, lies the rub.

As you noted, any binary XML format must contain exactly as much
information as the text form.  That means that a sufficiently good
compression algorithm combined with the text form will be as compact as the
directly binary form.  On the other hand, if I get "XML", I can open it,
examine it, and in the absence of any other information, take a pretty good
guess at its meaning (as Walter Perry is so fond of pointing out).  If I
get compressed data in some well-known form, like gzip, I can uncompress it
pretty easily.  If I get Al's Binary Structure Format, what the heck do I
do with it?  The drawbacks seem prohibitive and the benefits minimal.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant