RE: "Binary XML" proposals

If reducing bandwidth is the main requirement then I would have thought
gzip-ing would be an ideal solution. Standard format, and the codec could be
put inline fairly transparently (though didn't someone mention http 1.1
supports compression itself????) :

XML -> gzip -> http or whatever -> gzip -> XML

API's for gzip are readily available - e.g. GZIPInputStream etc in core Java
2.

---
Danny Ayers
http://www.isacat.net