Re: "Binary XML" proposals

"Al B. Snell" wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>
> > No, the difference is that after connection, the rest of the
> > session/conversation can be handled by another thread/process/cpu with
> > TCP.  You can't do that with UDP since there is no way to know at the
> > kernel/driver level what logical process an incoming UDP packet is bound
> > for.
>
> Oh, you mean once conversations have started and you want to maintain
> state? Well, either keep the table of
> which-process-handled-which-conversation in the master process, or use the
> master process purely as a broker which replies (on conversation
> setup) with a destination port to use that points to the correct child. In
> practice, though, if you actually want a stateful conversation like that,
> straight UDP probably *isn't* for you!

You Can dynamically assign a UDP port that the rest of the conversation
can proceed on in a separate thread, but that limits you to 64K
concurrent conversations.  TCP has no such limit; it can have 64K
conversations with Each remote IP address.

Presense/IM (i.e. Buddylist/AIM/ICQ/Jabber) is a good model where it has
been generally agreed that a long-lived TCP connection is needed.  The
communication model is the first widely used (as in number of actual
end-user/computers) instance of async message oriented routing.  In my
mind, as I've espoused for a long time, it's a great potential platform
for other applications shipping generic XML and more.  It is in fact a
good example of the savings that message pipelining can buy you.

> I'd like RDP resurrected. It strikes me that RDP can be implemented in
> userland on top of UDP (which is, at heart, a controlled gateway to IP
> itself)... that might be worth examining.
>
> ABS
>
> --
>                                Alaric B. Snell
>  http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/
>    Any sufficiently advanced technology can be emulated in software

sdw
--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams