supporting non-xml and xml capable browser

Title: supporting non-xml and xml capable browser

If this is in the faq somewhere, please point me to it.
I am pretty sure this has been asked before.
I am writing a Servlet which will write dynamic pages depending on user request, say to process a query/search operation.  The output as of right now is in XML format. If user is using XML capable browser then this is the end of story. Since I have to support non-xml capable browser, so here is my question:

What method is the most efficient to support non-xml and xml capable browser at the same time (say IE5.5, IE5.0, IE4, Netscape 4x and Netscape 6x)?

Thanks,
Joe