Re: So what do SOAP and XML-RPC buy you? (was Re: Massive Cross-Post:The State of XML-RPC, April 2001)

At 10:15 PM 4/17/01 +0100, Edd Dumbill wrote:
>Seriously, I'm interested in what the perceived buy is from the XML
>protocols over straight XML+HTTP.  My suspicion is that the main two
>reasons are the lack of perception of HTTP in this light, and the lack
>of friendly enough APIs (esp. on Microsoft platforms) to enable HTTP to
>be used between applications.

Actually, Microsoft's done an excellent job with the XMLHTTP and
ServerXMLHTTP classes as far as making it easy to do XML+HTTP work.

They just, um, don't push that hard as an alternative to SOAP.

The infrastructure's there, though!

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML