Re: So what do SOAP and XML-RPC buy you? (was Re: Massive Cross-Post:The State of XML-RPC, April 2001)

Marketing? Oh, you mean http://conferences.oreilly.com/ ? :-)

> Seriously, I'm interested in what the perceived buy is from the XML
> protocols over straight XML+HTTP.  My suspicion is that the main two
> reasons are the lack of perception of HTTP in this light, and the lack
> of friendly enough APIs (esp. on Microsoft platforms) to enable HTTP to
> be used between applications.

Exactly. CGI really isn't enough - it doesn't give you the control you
need over the server to implement this stuff, which is why it's going in
the mod_perl track (For the uninitiated, mod_perl just allows you to write
Apache modules in Perl). Servlets are probably too abstract (don't quote
me on that - I'm not a servlets programmer). So SOAP/XMLRPC layers
everything on top of simple HTTP GET/POST with only 200 return codes. Ick.

That's http://conferences.oreilly.com/, for anyone who wants to come to my
talk :-)

--
<Matt/>