Re: atoms, molecules

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
At 10:57 AM 4/19/01 +0200, Anders W. Tell wrote:
There is another mechanism which may be a part of a solution.
>I have ealier proposed to the XML schema group a mechanism where it is
>possible
>to handle "parsable encodings" such as XPath expressions and SVG paths in
>strings (attributes, etc.),
>called "microparsing".
>In these cases are regular expressions not really sufficient because of
>complex parsing rules.

Is 'microparsing' something readily defined with a declarative unpacking
mechanism?

Or does it bind more tightly to a particular processing environment?

Unfortunatly it is bound to a processing environment. Mainly because there are to many
syntaxes which are not readily handled by "readable" regular expression or other usable
declarative technologies.
The mircoparsing binding is just a named mapping to/from a string based type and an equivalent XML schema.

Regular expressions don't solve every problem, but I find them attractive
because of their relative independence from particular platforms and their
inclusion in XML Schema.
Regular expresssion may be a declarative approach that an handle a number of useful use cases.
But what is the result after applying one or more reqexps, a xml fragment or... ?

--
/  Financial Toolsmiths AB            /