Re: SVG paths in XSLT (was: Using W3C Regular Expressions)

At 14:59 20/04/2001 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com> writes:
>> I was just addressing the points that had been listed, ie readability and
>> size. I wholeheartedly agree that being able to transform some path
>> vocabulary into SVG using XSLT is very interesting. As things stand now, I
>> don't think that it is impossible however.
>
>Right -- I wanted to be able to go _the other way_, and without
>_deeply_ tedious us of string functions and so in in XSLT I can't.
>I agree that in principle the move we want to encourage is _out of_
>other formats _into_ SVG, as you've done, but sometimes the other way
>is necessary, and the actual application I had in mind was for
>tutorial _display_ of SVG paths, i.e. SVG->HTML.

Ah, of course, sorry for the misunderstanding. It's true that given a
processing pipeline moving from a custom vocabulary describing paths as
elements to SVG, from the purely XML standpoint you get in effect somewhat
"lossy" compression. I think that there's space in the exslt.org project
for an SVG module that would render extraction of that information trivial.

Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
"It's better to be quotable than to be honest." -- Tom Stoppard