Re: XEmacs and the web.xml DTD

> I'm using XEmacs to edit a web.xml deployment descriptor,

in your .emacs, insert :

;; SGML - XML
;; ================
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name
"/export/softs/xemacs/lib/xemacs-20.4/lisp/psgml") load-path))
(autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
(autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.sgml$" . sgml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.xml$" . xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))

This should automatically load psgml mode when opening .xml and .sgml files

> My problem: Parsing the doctype:
>
>   <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">
>
> generates this error:
>
> External entity WEB-APP not found
>   Public identifier -//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN
>   System identifier http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd
>

> 1. Should I use a different major mode?

NO. psgml is OK

> 2. Should I put this dtd on my local system (if so, from where,
> and to where)?

psgml allows you to use catalog files (files for mapping a public identifier
(-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web...) with a file on your system.

Once psgml mode is loaded in emacs, look at the sgml-catalog_file variable.
It should specify at least a catalog file. Then, check if this catalog
exists in your system.
   If so, just copy the dtd wherever you want, and update the catalog file
   If not contact me, I will send you an example
Restart emacs

Hope this helps.

Olivier Dameron
http://sim3.univ-rennes1.fr/users/dameron