Re: Namespace: what's the correct usage?

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>
To: <marting@develop.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: Namespace: what's the correct usage?

> > I think it's safe to assume I'll get the namespace decls right.
>
> I think the issue in the namespace rec's advice not to use implied
> namespace decls is not that you (or in general the original intended
> user) will get the wrong namespace, but rather that other people with
> other tools might get the wrong namespace, but anyway it's a moot point
> as you clarified that you really do intend to have two namespaces, or at
> least one  (prefix, bound) namespace and the default non-namespace.

[MJG]
OK, glad we both understand what I'm talking about.

> So I agree the use you suggest is perfectly sound. Personally I think
> it's rather strange, and it loses some of the benefits of the namespace
> system in that your child elements are not in the safe haven of their
> own namepsace  but having to fight for themselves in the uncharted
> unnamespaced world of "legacy" element names, but this is just
> personal design preferences not really any issue of substance.

[MJG]
Your last paragraph conjures up all sorts of great images! I don't really
anticipate the stuff I generate being used in other documents as most of it
is transient messages. Either way the xmlns='' of the parent will help
protect the child elements from subversive forces ;-)

Regards

Martin