RE: Indexing XML

We could do it in IADS as well across
document collections.  EBT was
a lot more of a full-up SGML browser and
had the edge, but doing it wasn't all
that novel.  Building indexes is an
established practice.  IADS was not
web-enabled but a database is a database
and other IETM systems were database
driven long before we had the web.

The meaningfulness of any claim like
that can be questioned apart from the
marketing value.  But it does little
harm to the literature as long as we
are critical about assertions.  Since
we just did another long round on the
Semantic Web, authoritative knowledge
bases, the problems of broadcast systems
and truth maintenance, we don't have to
do it again.  Just beware of the langoliers
of marketing and what they do to systems
that conflate identity, location, truth
and falsity.   Don't go to the marketing
department to verify history.  It isn't
their job.  They aren't bad; they are
just there to sell.

Len