Re: Off-Topic: RE: A few things I noticed about w3c's xml-schema

At 09:07 AM 31/05/01 -0400, Betty L. Harvey wrote:
>Yuri saw the benefit of HTML to the SGML world where other SGML leaders
>did not.  Most SGML proponents at the time were drug into the XML world
>kicking and screaming the entire way.

I can't agree with that.  The SGML world found out about XML
en masse at a presentation at SGML '96 in November of that
year.  I don't recall encountering *any* meaningful opposition,
the community climbed on board pretty well instantly.  There was
a certain amount of "this is nice but of course when you want
to do heavy lifting you'll have to use Full ISO SGML", but
even that didn't last long past the first wave of decent
freeware tools.

It is true that a lot of SGMLers thought HTML sucked.  But
that's a different story. -Tim