Xerces DOM in C++

I am trying to create a XML document on the fly in C++ using the Xerces DOM
object.  Now, once say I have created the root, and all the children
elements, I want to get the entire XML document as a string.  Is there a
feasable way to say create the document using xerces, validate it (this
would be optional since its not really needed but it would be nice) and
then return the entire document as a string or even save to a file?

I looked at the DOM_Document class, and I would think these features should
be in there.  If anyone can explain how do I get a newly created document
in String form it would be very helpful.  Also, why isn't implemented
through the DOM_Document class?

Thanks,
Mitan Chandihok