Re: Newbie

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Timothy Heald wrote:
> I am a Cold fusion developer who is brand new to XML. I recently purchased
> The XML Bible from IDG.

That probably won't help you much as it's more of a reference
than a beginner's tutorial.

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend any
> REALLY basic online tutorials or white papers or any other resources. I am

You'll find lots of material at http://xml.coverpages.org but if
you haven't used text markup before it might be useful to read
something explanatory and generic like the TEI's "Gentle Guide"
(http://etext.virginia.edu/bin/tei-tocs?div=DIV1&id=SG)
which explains why we do all this pointy bracket stuff, before
starting in on the technical details of XML.

> trying to figure out if XML is something we need or not.

You don't say what you do, so this is hard to answer.

> Also my company
> works in the education sector.  we have found several sites that deal with
> K-12 specific XML schema and applications (I hope I'm using the right
> terms).

Yep, except the plural of schema is schemas. See me after class :-)

///Peter