Re: About namespaces

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, SwetaG@riskinc.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I know how name spaces are used and how they are declared.The question that
> comes to my mind is that how do i create the namespaces.
>
> Like for the microsoft xdr schemas there is a namesapce called
> urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-data where the things are defined.Basically
> what is defined there..the schema tags and vocabulary or its sth else.
>
> Suppose i want to create my own namespaces and want others to use the how
> do i do it??for example i want that there are few elements say
> define them first of all and then how do i create the namesapce so that
> others can use them.

Write, document, and publish the DTD or Schema fragment.

Then encourage people to use it. Announcing it on the
usual forums (here, XML-L, XSL-List, c.t.s and c.t.x)
is a good way to start.

The System URI in a namespace declaration doesn't need to
resolve to anything at the moment. It was originally seen
as a way to provide DTD fragments but that would have meant
the whole world writing mutually embeddable DTD code. The
best bet for the moment seems to be to put the namespace's Web
site there, so people can read the doc.

///Peter