Re: Validation irrespective of DOCTYPE?

> Or can I just insist that my upstream source supplies a DOCTYPE? Is this
> commonly regarded as part of the XML "contract"?

I certainly regard it that way, though I'd believe there are people who
don't.  (In much the same way I believe in alien life forms ... :)

If there's no DTD at all, you may also be able to just use a streaming
validator like this one:

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/apidoc/gnu/xml/pipeline/ValidationConsumer.html

Preload the DTD, and then push the output through that.

- Dave