Re: Newbie - Schemas - Problem with minOccurs? or xmlns?

Joel,

There are a couple of problems I noticed in here:

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>                xmlns:xsi="http://mymachine/schema.xsd"
>        targetNamespace="http://mymachine/schema.xsd"
>        elementFormDefault="qualified"
>        attributeFormDefault="unqualified">

Becuase you are using the schema namespace as the default, you must prefix
you targetNamespace references: add xmlns:my="http://mymachine/schema.xsd"
in here.

> <complexType name="record">
>    <sequence>

>       <element name="cname" type="xsd:string"/>

Again, the schema namespace is the default-- so these should be "string"
with no prefix.

>       <element name="email" type="xsd:string"/>
>    </sequence>
> </complexType>
> <element name="addressBook">
>    <complexType>
>       <sequence>
>          <element name="owner" type="record"/>

Follwing the same problem, references to your targetNamespace types must be
prefixed so change this to "my:record"

>          <element name="person" type="record"
>                      minOccurs="8" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>       </sequence>
>    </complexType>
> </element>
> </schema>

Oftentimes (especially when starting out) it is easier to prefix the schema
namespace with "xs:" or "xsd:".  There are some examples in the schema
primer that do this. This is really personal preference though...  Based on
the errors in the schema I am guessing it was not checked-- this may be
because it couldn't recognize the type "record" and just pursued lax
validation-- but if so, that seems like a bug to me...  I would check your
validation code.

Good Luck,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting