Re: XMLLight - What do you think?

Hi Patrick,

First of all thank you for your time, and I'm absolutely not
surprised with your critic, actually I expected one.

But I really think I have to say that there was no "anonymous manner"
of posting. There is my valid email, name, etc. (Indeed, I'm subscribed to
this mailing list on my hotmail account and I don't want to receive all this
mail on my main account).

Second, I'm not selling anything from the Web, even no advertisements,
so I'm not interested in marketing.

But if we'll talk about XMLLight, I can share my experience why
I'm using it:

1. I think it is kind of not clever when you are using DOM model to
create something simple as "<text>here is a text</text>".
XMLLight solves this problem. Nothing really significant (except of
the string above) created in memory.

2. Sometimes you need to process in large document only small part of it
(like in example "Read large XML document"), and then using this information
extract something more. So why DOM or SAX model should process all document
and parse all nodes, if I'll never use it?
XMLLight solves this problem. It searches only requested elements, all other
skipped.

3. I don't like the complication of using DOM or SAX, it mast be simplified,
and there is a lot of complains about it.
XMLLight solves this problem. I really like how easy it is to write program
using it.

4. I'm using it to exchange the information with applets,
so I need a small size. XMLLight solves this problem. Yes, everything is
in one class, but this class is very small, so why not, if it does a job?

Of course XMLLight has limitations, this is why it is mentioned in capital
letters several times on the main page. But I work with XML for 2 years and
I really don't understand why you are saying, "XMLLight is good for... ".

Attributes supported, empty elements supported, All entities are
encoded/decoded automatically and you don't need to worry about it (and it
means you don't need CDATA). In 90% that is what people need.

And again it was written to be used in distributed applications,
so you know that your XML document created properly (by computer),
as well you know the structure of XML document (so you don't need DTD).

The only reason I posted this message because I found XMLLight to be really
useful, and anyway I'm very grateful for any reports or opinions, good or
bad.

Thank you, best regards!

Vadim