Binary XML Progress

All -

I was wondering what progress is being made on binary XML.  From the discussions here, there seems to be two fundamental approaches: XML encoding and data compression.  I'm more interested in the compression approach but am unsure as to how people are doing this in practice.

Are developers using the HTTP 1.1 compression support or are they doing something else?  It seems to me the HTTP 1.1 compression is a great solution for XML delivered over the web but what about other applications?

Thanks,

Ted C.