RE: Namespace prefixes

I don't think this question has a simple answer.  I know that the
DOM working group has wrestled with the question of how to define
a clean interface to namespaces for a long time.  We initially
made  the "prefixes are not significant" interpretation, then
found that it's not quite so simple.  XPath/XSLT has a rather
different conception than the DOM, and prefixes *are* significant
in Canonical XML.  Furthermore, as readers of this list know,
XML Schemas may have introduced some new complexities.

I think the answers will come from experience, and we need to
share our experiences so that something like the Common XML Namespaces
document can be written.

(I've politely asked Outlook to really really pretty please send this in
plain text ... if it is in HTML, my abject apologies!)