Re: Application Design

----- Original Message -----
From: <fpgomez@rockwellcollins.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: Application Design

> Hi XML architects!
>
> Got a question for you. I have a need to design and develop a Document
> Management system (documents include PDF files, Word documents, scanned
> images etc...) to store and manage data in the range of 30-40 GB. The
> application will be quite simple, have a couple of input screens to accept
> the document key information along with provision to attach the document.
> search & results screen will also be required to perform searches on the
> stored documents and to retrieve them.

May be the central questions is: When is most appropriate using XML?
If you have a substantial amount of scanned documents (i.e. tifs, gifs, etc)
I think XML wont help in managing this objects.

We have developed an application where the main elements of a document are
stored in a DBMS by the originating person, whereas the document itself is
zlib-compressed and stored apart. We have restrictions on the kind of
documents
involved and they are are tif´s and pdf´s mostly.