RE: Regular expression for URI matching

Thanks for passing this along (although that regular expression makes my
brain hurt ;)).

It's too bad, though, that Altova is completely removing it. I understand
the reasoning. We've all heard the admonition: be strict in what you create,
be forgiving in what you accept. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of
developers follow the path of least resistance. Forgiving web browsers is
one reason there is so much buggy, malformed content on the web. The typical
web developer writes a web page, brings it up in the browser, and if it
displays, they are done. If web browsers were more strict, developers would
produce more conformant content.

Maybe Altova should just add an optional feature that lets a user explicitly
disable the URI checking. That way, at least, they could accomodate their
customers without inadvertently leading naive developers down the path of
bad practice.