Re: Bad News on IE6 XML Support

On Sunday 09 September 2001 19:24, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Didier PH Martin wrote:
> >c) if the transformation occurs on the server side, this same server just
> >got its workload increased especially if the processed XML document is
> >dynamically produced by a server side script.
>
> I'm sorry but delivering the same XSLT transformation sheet to 1000
> clients takes far more resources than one simple transformation.
> Dynamically generated documents don't count; those scripts should have
> produced XHTML instead of something else.

That's not true. I tried both with XSP (in AxKit) and experience shows that
it is far less error prone to produce a simple XML structure which is then
transformed to XHTML than to produce XHTML directly. In fact, centralising
XHTML in the templates and deleting it completely from code is the reason why
I moved to XML/XSP/XSLT, and the reason I'm happy with it on the server side.

However, given proper thought most dynamic documents can be cached one way or
another, and in any case doing XSLT on the client side is imho a bad idea.

Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
A message of the Department of Redundancy Department.