RE: [xml-dev] [Fwd: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents]

For the scope of authority over that set of
contract entities to which the answer can be
applied.

I don't like this stuff either, Simon, but
as ISO had to accept the PDF PAS, there will
be technology innovations that will not be
made available without some licensing.  The
web will be the medium of technical advances,
or it will be a bazaar, a ghetto of half-implemented
notions.   We've been crusing for a long
time in the world that DARPA paid for.  If the
W3C only recommends royalty-free technologies,
expect the members to withhold the best stuff.
Flash and PDF disprove the myth of open source
as the sole arbiter of product survival on the web.

What is actually at risk here is the
cohesiveness of the W3C membership.
Again, as long as it was simply a technology
incubator, it has served us well.  Making
it a legislative authority is a mistake.
Yet unless some means of administering such
authority is found, expect the large
corporations to do as they will under
the fog of inexact law.

I am reading the document;
so far, it looks like an attempt to cope
with the emerging situation, not an attempt
to create the situation.