RE: [xml-dev] [Fwd: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents]

On Mon, 2001-10-01 at 14:21, Champion, Mike wrote:

> To be fair, you don't have to ignore W3C work "entirely", only that part of
> its *future* output that is explicitly produced by WG's operating under RAND
> rules rather than RF rules.

Maybe they should distribute the publications in a different color of
ink, then...

Even if they do that, it doesn't exactly bolster my confidence in the
W3C as a level playing ground.  (Not that it's a change, I guess.)

> The only current Recommendation that seems to
> be potentially affected by this is SVG ... or perhaps the SVG people chose
> to operate under at least the potential that various contributors had
> enforceable patents on bits of the SVG technology, I don't claim to
> understand all this very well.

Is there any public discussion of SVG and IP issues?  I remember it
being mentioned, but don't know what happened.  (SVG members are noted
in the RAND draft.)

--
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue