Re: [xml-dev] Extracting GIF image in ASP?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Byron Stuart wrote:

> I've got a Java applet that is sending a gif image, using XML, to an ASP
> page.  I want to save the image into a database, but I can't parse the XML.
> Any idea why?  The XML is basic:
>
> <gifImage><![CDATA[GIF89A...]]></gifImage>
>
> When I send nothing in the CDATA tags, the XML is parsed fine, but when I
> add the image binary, the parser can't parse the XML.  Also, if I send the

You can't include raw binary data in an XML file. CDATA can't include any
characters that are not otherwise legal in an XML file. If you want to
store binary data in XML, you will need to first transform it to a safe
encoding like Base64.

--
Benjamin Franz

  Programs must be written for people to read, and only
  incidentally for machines to execute.
                             ---Abelson and Sussman