RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth on XML and W3C

Complexity is view dependant:  in the eye of the beholder.
That is why scale is an issue.  At fifty feet, a ball of twine
is a point.  At five feet, it is a rough sphere.  At one inch,
it is a curved cylinder.  At 1/100 of an inch, turned on end,
it is a rough filled circle.  Unwound and on end, at five feet,
it is a point.  And so on.

Sometimes one sees complexity and chaos theory referred to as
"non linear foolishness".  It isn't exactly, but one does have
to know how to apply it.  Bosworth isn't all wrong but not all
right either.

In some points of view and for some tasks, XML Schema
will work just fine.  For others, limited results.  Complexity
is not the issue except insofar as a predictor of costs for results.
DTDs worked but we wanted the costs of dual syntaxes removed.  When
we did that, readability went down.  So we traded-in features and
pushed complexity elsewhere.  Did we get an overall reduction in costs
for the advantages of well-formed systems?  Yes, I think so but
we decreased the overall predictability of using the system and
pushed the choice of choosing among constraint enforcement
elsewhere (SGML - choice is in the standard.  XML - choice
is the system owner or implementor's).

Point of view, scale, choice of choices... all the problems
of systems engineering writ big because they intesect with
choices of authority.

len