RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth on XML and W3C

OK, let's agree to disagree on whether XSD is more complex than HTML 4 or
not.  That's not what Adam Bosworth asserted:

"The size and complexity of the Schema and the Query are staggering. They
dwarf that of the relational world. There is no layering, no well-defined
starting subset. Make no mistake. These are not easy or simple
specifications. The very syntax is intimidating sometimes in its complexity.
"

Does the complexity of XSD really "dwarf" that of SQL DDL? I'd tend to
agree, but one could also argue "well duh, it defines hierarchical
constraints, of course it's more complex."   But I think the operative
question is "is it too complex to economically implement in an interoperable
way?"

Also, "If we don't get answers, a movement to create kinder, simpler, leaner
alternative solutions for processing XML messages may be in order."  This
coming from a person of Bosworth's stature would have set off a flame war a
year ago ... can we now assume that silence means assent? :~)  Are the
minimalist heretics now welcome back in Church?