RE: [xml-dev] Re: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> >Tell me, what is the cost of having a hobby?
>
> Mine cost me about $1500 last month for a used and discounted
> Mackie 480-S and a Roland JV-1080.

Mine's costingmethat kind of money too - a week off of work (unpaid) and a
return ticket to Orlando and a week in a hotel for an ISO/ ITU-T meeting
:-)

I'm in Florida. This is strange. I live in London.

> >Everyone with an off the shelf PC can start programming.
>
> Yes.  That is well supported given any number of frameworks,
> open source, and commercial products.

They're not as likely to produce code of acceptable quality as somebody
with five years of commercial-grade experience and a CS degree or
equivelant, though... and that degree costs! Too many people hacking out
dirty Perl code and publishing, then other people building on that code,
has created a convulted mess of de facto standards :-(

> len

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell