Re: [xml-dev] Re: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:18:42PM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> >There's also a vast amount of scientific research and Open Source
> >software to build upon and expand.
>
> Yes.  A lot of that was paid for by the tax dollars collected
> by the IRS.  Funny how that works.  From my hobby to your PC.

Both individuals and companies pay taxes.

> >Yet a lot of the obvious enhancements
> >get patented.
>
> I don't think so.  Some do but the patent office isn't quite
> that stupid.  This argument does reflect an attitude that
> is prevalent (software is free speech) and one can argue
> the merits of that.  Still, it once again reinforces the
> contention that without a sound patent policy to ensure
> the interests of the W3C's members, the W3C is derelict
> in its responsibilities.  The text of that is to be
> decided.

Agreed.

> >Why is it so hard to see that asking people to pay these same considerable
> >business costs of yours just so they can *give away* things *they write*
> >is wrong?

[snip part about music, money, stealing and giving away things]

I know the difference between copyrights and patents.

> You can't make the wrong thing the right thing just because you want
> it to be so.  The WWW mythos has persuaded many to think there are no
> costs for it.  That is quite wrong.  It is just that the people
> who seem to be clamoring for a cost free web aren't the ones
> paying the costs.

I'm clamoring for no software patents please. And before you tell me
they have been there for years and I'm out of touch with reality: I'm
not in the US.

> The Internet is NOT a commons.  It never has been.  That was a dream
> some had and promoted to others.  They forgot to mention the
> millions of dollars spent by the US to develop it and then
> present it as a gift for commercialization in 1990/91.  Every
> university machine, every router, every PC out there cost
> someone something.  Do what you will with what is yours to do it with
> but the costs for the 'net are being passed on to the consumers.

I'm gladly paying for my good internet connection, just like I pay for
my 2-3 CD's a week. I would hope that whatever I pay my ISP is enough so
that they can be a profitable company.

I also paid for my University and will be paying taxes for the rest of
my life. I'd hope that *some* of the money government spends *does*
create a commons.

Others have made better and on-topic postings on the W3C and patents, so
I'll leave it at this.

--
Bart.