[xml-dev] Compatibility for XML attribute types with schemas

Most of the XML simple types in the W3C XML Schema Language -- e.g.
NOTATION, NMTOKEN, iD, IDREF, etc. -- carry a compatibility rule; for
example:

For compatibility (see Terminology (§1.4)
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#terminology> ) *NMTOKEN* should be
used only on attributes.

How important is this? Would it really be a compatibility problem to say
that an element must have type NMTOKEN? or be an ID? How would this be
incomaptible with standard XML? The resulting document would still be
well-formed and perhaps DTD valid. Nothing in the schema would change
this. Of course, these constraints could not be used on elements in a
DTD. However, netiher could a constraint that an element be required to
contain an integer, whihc is acceptable in schemas.

What's the reasoning  here? Why shouldn't we use NMTOKEN and the like
for element types?

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://www.ibiblio.org/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |