Re: [xml-dev] storing XML files

At 12:13 AM -0700 10/10/01, Ronald Bourret wrote:

>The problem is that NITF uses mixed content and mixed content doesn't
>map well with an object-relational mapping. (I won't go into the details
>here. If you want to read more about this, see sections 3.3 and 3.4 of
>http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/05/09/dtdtodbs.html.)
>
>Furthermore, as far as I know, the only product that supports mixed
>content in an object-relational mapping is mine (XML-DBMS) and I
>recommend that people don't use XML-DBMS with mixed content because it
>is so inefficient. (XML-DBMS started out as a research project and I
>supported mixed content for completeness. Were I to do it over again, I
>probably wouldn't support it.)

I'm a little surprised that more products don't support mixed content. I must say that if a so-called XML database doesn't support semi-structured data and mixed content, I really can't see why you'd use it instead of a relational database. In fact, I'd venture to say that if your database can't handle mixed content, then it isn't an XML database. Mixed content is a *very* fundamental part of XML, not something that can be ignored.

I guess I'll have to add "Do you support mixed content?" to the list of tough questions I bother XML database vendors with on the exhibit floor at conferences. :-)