Re: [xml-dev] interleave algorithm?

The easiest way is to use the idea of regular expression derivatives. The
original article is

J. Brzozowski, Derivatives of Regular Expressions, Journal of the ACM,
Volume 11, Issue 4 (October 1964).

There's brief description by Joe English online at

http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/sgml/validate.html

You can get the source code for Jing, which is based on this algoritm, from:

http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html

The derivative of a regular expression e wrt a string s is a regular
expression that matches any string that when appended to s will match e.
Let's write s\e to denote the derivative of e wrt s.  Then, for example, we
have

foo\foobar = bar
a\a* = a*

Informally, s\e is the regex for what's left of e after matching s.

You match a string against a regular expression by successively computing
the derivative wrt to each character. If the resulting regular expression is
nullable (matches the empty string), then the string as a whole matches.

This works for interleave because for any regular expressions X, Y and any
single character c

(where | denotes choice and & denotes interleave).

This also handles the element/attribute content models of RELAX NG
straightforwardly.  The idea is that group behaves like interleave when you
take the derivative with respect to an attribute, but behaves like sequence
when you take the derivative with respect to a element or a string.