Re: [xml-dev] PSVI using existing infoset items

On Tue, 2001-10-16 at 14:12, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> ><foo xmlns:...>
> >  <psvi:element type="complex" datatype="foo" whitespace="false"/>
> >  <bar>
> >    <psvi:element type="simple" datatype="xs:string"
> >        primary="xs:string"
> >        minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" whitespace="false"/>
> >  ...</bar>
> ></foo>
> >

> This is still too complicated. In particular, it changes the parentage of elements and tree structure of an XML document. An XSLT style sheet that operated on the original document would likely fail when applied to the PSVI document. What's needed here is a pure attribute solution so that PSVI information can be merged with the original document without changing its basic structure. For example,
>
> <foo xmlns:psvi="..." xmlns:prefix="..." psvi:type="prefix:typeA">
>   <bar psvi:type="prefix:typeB">
>   </bar>
> </foo>

I almost wonder if there'd be some good way to define the psvi: namepace
as a 'shadow' namespace, ignored by XPath and XSLT unless a switch was
flipped.  That might be too much, but I'd rather not be forced into
using attributes only to cover PSVI information.  There's a lot of it.

> I also don't think you need anything more than the qualified name for the type of each element. If an application wants details about the type, then it should look at the schema.

I don't ever want to have to look at the schema.  In fact, needing to
have to look back into the schema in order to interpret the PSVI seems
to negate nearly the entire benefit of this proposal.

--
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue