[xml-dev] Notation processors

Ascending to XML

There are a lot of binary languages out there. I wonder, how can one
translate these into XML languages in the easiest possible way, without
having to program a module to perform the translation every time a new
binary language appears. The solution I think, is to build something similar
to an XSLT processor. Something which uses a translation specification for
each binary language.

I read that in the SGML world there is the concept of a Groove and a
Notation Processor, that is, a processors capable of creating SGML
representations of binary and other formats; or that's my understanding.
However this would seem not to include a generic system for specifying
binary formats. Is this true -- or has this wheel been invented? Of course
there's a limit to what such a translation system could do but I think it
could probably be used for quite a lot of formats without too many
extensions for special cases.

Regards,
Bent R.