Re: [xml-dev] Managing XML dialects - any good processes?

I honestly thought this would be a hotter topic. But then, when you're
competing with the evil empire, what can you do?

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Ronald Bourret wrote:

> I haven't written DTDs in a large corporation, but that doesn't stop me
> from having opinions:
>
> 1) Requiring namespace use. It would be insane not to do this.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.   I have been trying to drill in the idea that
the namespace mechanism identifies dialect variants ... but it's a slow
slog.

> 2) Using DTDs. A tossup. Yes, schema implementations are newer than DTD
> implementations, but schemas provide a number of advantages, most
> prominently data types. The idea of starting with DTDs and moving to
> schemas is probably a good one, especially if people are new to XML,
> since DTDs are much simpler to learn.

Yeah, that's more or less what I thought too.

> 3) Talking to each other. A great idea, but very hard to implement due
> to politics. Four years ago, the XML community waved their hands at this
> question and said, "Industry groups will get together and come up with
> standard DTDs." This is just happening now, to the extent it is
> happening at all.

I am trying to act as a bridge here, moving between the groups and passing
ideas back and forth. Plus some of the lead architects are encouraging
discussion, which also helps. But you're right -- people would really
prefer to punt the problem to someone else, and just follow.

> 4) Documentation. Absolutely required, and always difficult to get
> people to do.

Yes - perhaps the most difficult part of this whole exercise :-(

Thanks for your comments --

Ian