RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

That is what I find weird about the positions advocated so far.
In both cases, beyond well-formedness process information is being
added into the document with "magic strings", a solution that
was not liked in the XML WG work originally, and because existing
architectural solutions do exist to the problem.  PIs are magic
strings of a sort and usually considered to be system strings.
xml:id is yet another system string.

Again, why would xml:id be architecturally superior?  Without
answers to that question, there is no reason to continue this
thread because the requirement has not been clearly articulated.

Yes, I've seen problems with not knowing something is an ID but
the answer has been, find the Schema or DTD?  What, no schema
or DTD?  Then why do you care?  Well I need to know if these
are unique?  Isn't that a processor issue of local scope? Yes.
So find a DTD or schema to define that.  No.  Why?  I don't
want to open a file or I may not have the file or I don't
like the file.  To any of these one can say, but the XML
spec gave you a way. And so it will go.

Articulate the requirements so we have a definition of
why we need to take a working solution and provide an
alternative.  Really, we have to do this every time someone
wants to add a magic string or change the core XML definitions.
Otherwise, next year, it is yet another thread on how "hard
XML is to implement".

And, magic strings turn it into RTF.

len