Re: [xml-dev] normalizing schemas

AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 05/11/01 13:42:52 GMT Standard Time, xml-dj@gmx.de
> writes:
>

>     I have to normalize a schema with xslt for an application.
>     With "normalizing" I mean to flatten the schema-structure, e.g. to
>     dissolve all references and insert it at the referenced place...
>     I am searching for a specification how to normalize a schema, but I
>     have not found anything up to now. Maybe someone knows where to find
>     the spec or maybe someone has/had the same thing to do?

.../...

> Are we talking about XSD Schema (W3C "XML Schema")? Or something else?
> What is the limiting factor that demands a "normalized" schema? A fully
> fledged XSD Schema processor should be able to handle any of the legal
> structures.

It may be useful to "normalize" a W3C XML Schema for documentation
purposes and I have done quite a lot of work on the subject, even if
it's more dirty hacks than something which could be published yet.

I tend to disagree with the idea to "dissolve all references and insert
it at the referenced place", though since "references" are more generic
than "insertion".

You can convert to references (or flat design) any Russian doll, but the
contrary is false since you can't model a recursive structure as a
Russian doll.

IMHO, the "normalized" schema should rather be a schema "as flat as
possible" just embedding the complex and simple types definitions.

My 0,02 Euros,

Eric

--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.