RE: [xml-dev] re: IDs and databases (Was: determining ID-ness in XML)

True story.  The IDE/AS SGML hypertext system originally
used PIs for link targets.  Because as an SGMLer at that
time, I knew we would get beat up for using PIs, I convinced
the developers to switch to attributes instead, and we even
adopted the weakest nameloc hytime conventions we could.
This made it over into IADS, the USAMICOM version.  We
were pleased.  Then the SGML Way people began to beat
the daylights out of us for requiring any kind of out
of band information in the content because any DTD
for IADS or IDE/AS had to support it.  We also
required frame elements and made those optional,
again, to stay out of the DTD.  Then we got beat
up for not requiring a DTD (it was a well-formed
system in the pre-XML days).  Sigh.... no win...

So the politics of markup can be ugly and religious.
The PI will work.  The xml:id will work.  Rename it
as xml:target or something like that, and it works
better (no confusion).   But if we put it in the
xml namespace, I think we owe it to everyone to
be very clear about the requirement, the semantics,
the expectation of support, and so forth, because
the DTD writers can adapt and will but the
processor developer needs very clear instructions.

It is the requirement and the precise
doctrinal decisions that make me pause.  We can
add PIs as conventions until the troops come home.
No problem. But I don't think that is what the
proposers of this are after and until I see the
whole proposal, I can't be comfortable with a
fundamental expansion of the xml namespace.

As for putting PIs to sleep, don't kill a useful
barnyard cat.  The rats may come back.  Preserve
options.

len (paranoidly yours)