RE: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

It isn't difficult.  We table-drive our GUIs for
the most part and any field they are adding is
for an explicit control they add as well.  So
it isn't hard to maintain.  The dilemma is that they can
add a field for the same purpose as a field
we provide in an upgrade, and now there is an
overlap.    XML is nothing moreorless
than an additional toolbag.  A native XML DB is
something else, but we don't use one of those
today so not on the radar here.  Mainly, relational
dbs have a well-established practice, optimized
indexes, and so on.  XMLasDB doesn't bring much to the
party that we can't do already and do quite
efficiently with COTS tools.  It does have advantages
when the content is purely a document but that
gets into yet another argument for which there
is a considerable amount of middle ground, so
only resolvable in the extremes.  Most of us don't
live on edge cases.

To answer your question, de-basing: I'm too old to take
up the cause of purity again and found it too boring
the last time around.  To some, HTML is de-based.
To others, it is a practical approach to an
immediate problem.

"I want candy".  "OK," Mom says, "But it rots your teeth
and will make you fat."

How useful the SemWeb is will be determined by
how much money people are willing to spend building
metadata for others to profit from.  But there is nothing
new about ontologies, expert systems (CWM), or any of that.
It's yet another database.  There are as Andrew points
out, problems of privacy, but this problem is there
all the time for every db built.   The question is,
who gets to see the data?  Industry, government, individuals,
corporations already collect and exchange enormous
amounts of personal information.  Some will say,
"the danger is they reason over it and draw conclusions
that may be false."  That is a problem.  The bigger
problem is that they do that and the person(s) about
whom conclusions are drawn are unaware of it, have
few recourses to refute that which they don't see, and
for them, the world appears to move by magic, fate
or conspiracy when in fact, it is just amplified error.

So the SemWeb becomes a comedy if you feel, and a tragedy
if you think (to borrow from the Bard).  I have an image
in mind of two rooms at a local mall, one for aerobics
and one for square dancers, and on a certain night,
the instructors for each go to the wrong rooms.

len