Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> >It would be good for non-DTD-reading systems to know about IDs in those
> >documents.
> >
> Yes, but this can be done by fixing those systems so they read the
> DTD.  The number of non-validating parsers is quite small these days
> relative to validating parsers.

I've had a terrible time getting even validating/DTD-aware
parsers to actually *locate* DTDs.  It's such a hassle
that I've stopped putting <!DOCTYPE ...> declarations in
instances altogether, keeping external DTDs for documentation
purposes only.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com