Re: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 02:48 pm, Jim Ancona wrote:
> --- Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com> wrote:
> > Well, we've heard that, depending on the system, the resource identified
> > by the URI might not be unique... so I guess we have varying degrees of
> > uniqueness.
>
> Not quite sure what you're getting at here. A URI should always identify
> the same resource. The content of the resource may vary with time (e.g.
> "IBM's current stock price"), or in form (text/html or application/xml),
> but if the same URI suddenly starts referring to Microsoft's stock price,
> something is broken.

Right. My point is that having a unique name that maps to a unique resource
that may, or may not give me what I want is hardly a solid foundation upon
which to build applications.

To me, HTTP and URI's stopped reflecting reality at about HTTP 0.9...