Re: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> In the above scenario, what you're left with is the fact that in order to
> uniquely, and reliably address a given octet sequence (entity body), you have
> to provide a URI, a complete set of headers (Accept*), a server, the server
> configuration, and all of the "entity bodies" as well, and even then, you
> might not have it.

Right.  If you grab many of the resources at www.weather.com today, for
example, you will get completely different entity bodies from what
you would have gotten yesterday.  That's the idea; people want a
particular URI (= resource) to specify the current (varying) weather.

The only way to reliably address a given entity body is to use a
data: URL, and even then you have to mention the media type
by which the octets are to be interpreted.  Type the URL
browser to see the effect.