Re: [xml-dev] Interoperability [long]

<snip/>

> Every parser I've ever seen supports 8859-1.  Is there a
> single counterexample?  But <snicker> that doesn't help you
> though, because I can always put &#x20ac; (Euro) in my 8859-1
> text.  BTW Sean, how do you do Euros?  SGML had SDATA
> entities, but they had poor interoperability and flaky
> product support.
>
> Here's one area where SGML (kind of) wins.  You could in
> theory limit the charset to 8859-1 in the SGML declaration.
> Mind you, I never heard of anyone ever doing this on a
> production basis... toolset problems?
>
> I guess the modern schema datatypes kind of allow you
> to do this via the regexp tools?

Yes, If I understand the datatype spec correctly you can do either:

<xs:simpleType name="ISO8859_1">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:pattern value="\p{BasicLatin}+"/>
    <xs:pattern value="\p{Latin-1Supplement}+"/>
  </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

or

<xs:simpleType name="ISO8859_1">
  <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
    <xs:pattern value="[&#0000-&#00FF]+"/>
  </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

for one or more characters in ISO8859-1. See [1]

Cheers,
/Eddie

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#regexs